Triangle Transit to hold workshop today on potential new routes to Durham and Wake counties

To hold Chapel Hill workshop today

A plan that could shorten the time it takes to get to Durham will be presented to Chapel Hill residents today by Triangle Transit.

The public informational workshop, to be held from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Friday Center, will offer information on potential routes that would connect residents of Orange, Durham and Wake counties.

The Chapel Hill workshop is the third in a series of seven workshops across the counties.

“This is the final phase of public workshops … and one of the last times for public input,” said Ayana Hernandez, a spokeswoman for Fleishman-Hillard International Communications, which is working with Triangle Transit on the project.

Transit representatives at the workshop will provide information about the Triangle Regional Transit Program, which recommends a new link between Chapel Hill and Durham through either a light rail or a rapid bus service.

The bus would provide faster service by driving in a lane separated from other traffic, while the light rail option would provide electrically powered transportation capable of operating up to 60 miles per hour.

The Chapel Hill station connecting to Durham would be located near the UNC campus, Triangle Transit spokesman Brad Schulz said.

A proposed method of financing the project is a one-half percent sales tax increase levied by the three counties and legalized by state law.

Triangle Transit will include the workshop input in its final recommendation, which will be presented to the three counties’ commissioners early this summer.

Schulz said travel between the three counties is becoming increasingly problematic due to their growing populations.

The Triangle’s population has increased by 15 percent from 1995 to 2009, and use of public transportation increased 31 percent, according to Triangle Transit data.

“There’s already signs of congestion in the region,” Schulz said. “We’re going to find ourselves in a pinch if we don’t find a way to move the million more people that are coming.”

Junior Laurel Ashton said increased accessibility to Durham would benefit UNC.

“I went to Durham, like, four times a week last summer for my job and took the bus every time, and it was always slow,” Laurel said.

“A lot of professors and Chapel Hill workers also live in Durham, and it would make it easier and more efficient for them to travel.”

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.