Nested closes, gift shop opens

A store specializing in handmade, local goods opened on East Main Street earlier this month.

Ginna Earl opened Vespertine three weeks ago. Earl has another shop in Pittsboro and makes many of her goods herself.

Jenny McMillan closed her retail space Nested this past December, which was located in the same space. McMillan sold European home goods and now sells her merchandise online.

Earl’s small shop sells dresses, jewelry, home accessories and other knickknacks. She said she hopes the reasonably priced items will attract college students.

“This is definitely a job and a half,” she said. “I’m here six days a week and making crafts at night.”

Earl said she can’t afford staff yet, and is making do with the help of friends and family.

Dress Shop boutique opens

A new boutique specializing in dresses opened late March on West Franklin Street after Limelight closed.

Hillary Fisher owned the building and decided to open her own store, called Dress Shop, after she heard her tenant was closing.

“I really wanted a place that concentrated on dresses,” Fisher said.

The store sells 40 lines, many of which Fisher said are hard to find elsewhere. She said she has tried to keep the prices student-friendly.

“We have a couple dresses for only $82,” she said.

Fisher said she is waiting for more merchandise to arrive before advertising heavily.

“We sell some lines that I love to wear too,” she said. “It’s for college girls and their moms, if their moms are really hip.”

Wachovia extends hours

The Wachovia on East Franklin Street is now open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturdays.

It is the first bank on Franklin Street to have weekend hours.
“We found that a lot of customers would be shopping nearby, so corporate just really wanted to be more convenient,” said corporate spokesperson Christine Shaw.

The decision was made at the corporate level, and was based on customer feedback and demand.

Several branches extended their hours, both within the Triangle and across the country.

The bank is also open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Monday to Thursday, and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday.

Shaw said she finds that the benefits of being open on Saturdays far outweigh the costs.

Ye Olde accepts credit cards

Ye Olde Waffle Shoppe, a breakfast place on East Franklin Street, has started accepting credit cards.

Junior Abby Moore said she loves the restaurant and was excited about the new policy.

“I actually went there last Friday and used my credit card and it was amazing,” she said.

The store only accepted cash for 39 years.

“It’s been difficult in the past, but the Wachovia ATM is a few doors away so that’s convenient.”

But senior Kathryn Hooker said she didn’t know about the change in policy when she went there for lunch Thursday.

“I think it’s a good idea because I’ve come here before and not had cash,” Hooker said.

The general manager could not be reached for comment.