Due to multiple knee surgeries, sophomore Stevie Kirkup hadn’t played in a lacrosse game since his junior year of high school.

Thursday night against Presbyterian, he returned to the field for the first time in more than two years to score a goal and add an assist in the No. 10 North Carolina men’s lacrosse team’s 15-5 victory at Fetzer Field.

“Last year I had a rough time going through ACL surgery and having to sit on the sideline and watch my teammates,” Kirkup said. “But it’s well worth it now after that. That’s for sure.”

Kirkup wasn’t the only first-time goal scorer against the Blue House. Every single non-injured player except for captain Ryan Flanagan, who rested that night, got playing time.

Both Sean Taylor, who like Kirkup was playing in his first collegiate game, and Stephen Burns scored their first goals.

Taylor, who actually added another goal later in the game for good measure, said it felt great to score for the first time and thought getting everyone to play boosted the rest of the Tar Heels’ morale.

“I’m sure they’re really happy for us,” Taylor said. “I mean I’m happy for Stevie Kirkup who’s been thought so many knee surgeries. I mean, it just feels great.”

UNC coach Joe Breschi agrees that it was great to see new faces score, especially Kirkup.

“It shows a lot of character for these kids who don’t get a lot of playing time to stick with it,” Breschi said. “A guy like (Kirkup), who I think was in the hospital more than he was out of it last year, to persevere through that and go through all those rehabs after tearing his ACL three or four times its terrific.”

Going into the game, the sophomore attackman knew he might play in his first game against the overmatched Presbyterian team.

“I was definitely a little more nervous than other games, but I was pumped,” Kirkup said. “If he called my name, I was ready to go. I’m just happy that I got in.”

And when he got in, it didn’t take long for him to record his first point.

With about seven minutes left in the second quarter and the Tar Heels leading 9-3, Kirkup got onto the field for the first time. After less than 30 seconds he had the ball to the left of the goalie behind the net. Then he fed Thomas Wood, who from about 10 yards out ripped a shot past the Presbyterian goalie, giving Kirkup his first career point.

It was a moment Kirkup has been looking forward to for a while.
“Since forever,” he said. “I can’t even tell you. It’s been a long time.”

Just more than four minutes later, Kirkup picked off a Blue Hose defenseman’s pass in front of the net. He faked while going to the right of the goalie and eventually put the ball past him for his first goal.

It was an impressive debut for Kirkup and one that was a long time coming.

“I’m excited,” Kirkup said. “I put in all that hard work and just to be out here. It’s just a ball.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.