NCCU could expel 500 for low grades

New academic standards at N.C. Central University have put more than 500 students in jeopardy of being kicked out of school.

As many as 519 students at the university are on a warning list because they do not have a 1.9 GPA. The new requirement is part of an incremental policy to help improve the school’s academic standing.

Students are expected to maintain a 1.9 GPA instead of a 1.7 GPA to continue enrolling in classes. And starting in the fall of 2011, they will have to maintain a 2.0 GPA — the same requirements that a student must already have to graduate.

“They have to have a 2.0 for graduation,” said Bernice Duffy Johnson, dean of the University College at NCCU. “If students are not anywhere near that, we look at it as being a waste of somebody’s time and money for letting them linger until they do have the grade.”

The old policy allowed students to continue enrolling in courses even if they weren’t up to graduation standards, and also put students at risk for losing financial aid opportunities, Johnson said.

“It’s about equity and fairness to the students,” she said.

“Students have to earn hours in 67 percent of the courses they attend in order for them to be eligible for financial aid.”

At its meeting last week, the UNC-system Board of Governors mentioned looking into decreasing enrollment for the 2012-13 academic year as a possible solution to cope with the consistent decreases in state funding. But university administrators said the reason for the crackdown on GPA requirements was not budget-related.

At UNC-CH, students are expected to remain in “good standing,” by maintaining a 2.0 GPA to enroll in classes for the next semester.
NCCU’s new requirements were announced to students in December by Chancellor Charlie Nelms.

“Many of the students who were on that list were first semester freshmen, who if they take a couple of summer courses will be well beyond the 2.0,” Johnson said.

Johnson said the school’s expectations of incoming students is actually higher than its policy.

“We expect them to do a 3.0,” she said. “They are expected to perform at a B average, and one of the reasons why I tell them that is because we have the academic support programs in place for any student who comes to this institution.”

“They have this semester and the summer session to improve their grades and meet the 1.9 and we’re confident that many of them will do that,” said Cynthia Fobert, spokeswoman for NCCU. “At the end of the day we don’t know how many will be asked to leave.”

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.