CCI MacBook Pro and Lenovo Thinkpad sales tied

As the final laptop orders roll into UNC, sales for Apple MacBook Pros and Lenovo ThinkPads are virtually tied in Apple’s first year with the Carolina Computing Initiative.

Sales teetered back and forth between Apple and Lenovo computers throughout the summer, said David Eckert, CCI program manager.

“They’re still neck and neck,” he said. “Ultimately, it’s tenths of a percent difference.”

Sales for all CCI computers increased 29 percent as of Aug. 17, compared to the same date last year.

Priscilla Alden, executive director of user support and engagement for Information Technology Services, said the jump in sales wasn’t surprising.

“We’re used to seeing Macs on campus,” she said. “When you look at previous years, Lenovos were the number one computers brought into the computer walk-in center. Macs were number two.”

John Gorsuch, director of the RAM shop at Student Stores, said he was slightly surprised that Apple’s share of sales was so large but had expected a strong response from students. The store has resold Apple products since 1985, he said.

Lenovo brought in less revenue as Apple took half of the sales, even though overall sales grew for both suppliers.

“Of course any company who’s out of sales would not be very happy about it, but they still value their partnership with UNC-Chapel Hill,” Gorsuch said.

But Apple’s larger share of the market won’t come without a cost to students who buy MacBooks. Students with Apple computers might experience compatibility issues on the University’s traditionally PC-friendly campus, Alden said.

“We do know from past experience that there are problems with some programs that will not run on Macs,” Alden said, adding that students can probably work around those issues.

The Undergraduate Library will add more Apple computers over fall break in hopes of alleviating compatibility problems, said Jeremiah Joyner, manager of ITS labs and systems.

With Apple computers selling so well, Alden and Eckert said CCI will continue to work to get lower prices for students.

“We always, every year, try to negotiate with vendors like Lenovo, and we certainly will continue to negotiate with Apple to get the best possible pricing,” Alden said.

Gorsuch said Apple’s future with UNC lies mainly in the company’s hands.

“It’s very important that Apple complies to UNC’s needs for having a computer initiative program on campus,” he said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.