Chapel Hill gets tech savvy with new sites, mobile app

7315_0916_chapelhillhightech_towlef.jpg
Chapel Hill is moving towards high-tech services; Laurie Pallcioli and Dewey Mooring are launching a new application for tourists and have been working hard at the Chapel Hill tourism office on West Franklin Street.

University students aren’t the only tech-savvy people in Chapel Hill.

This week, the town’s police and economic departments both launched new websites.

And next month the Orange County and Chapel Hill Visitors Bureau will release a new smartphone application.

It will offer immediate access to incident reports, arrest reports and mapping features, Police Chief Chris Blue said.

“But the point is, you can access that information from your computer, wherever you want, 24 hours a day.”

He said the department already uses Facebook and Twitter, and they promoted the new website on both platforms.

But some students said they don’t see a real need for the site.

“I would rely on a text from Alert Carolina for immediate information,” said Jennifer Joyner, a senior at the University.

The Chapel Hill Economic Development Department also launched a new website Sept. 12. The site includes information on market studies and advertisements.

“If you’re a new business or an expanding business wanting to relocate to Chapel Hill, we wanted to portal the … key information necessary to making that decision,” said Dwight Bassett, Chapel Hill’s economic development officer.

The site was designed by Chapel Hill web design firm Sprocket House and cost $3,500.

The site has a search tool that allows businesses and visitors to find commercial listings.

Bassett said before the website launch, the town did not offer an online tool to find available properties, and he thinks the change will attract new businesses.

“We try to respond based on what we’re hearing in the market and market demand,” he said.

And visitors traveling to Chapel Hill will be able to use new technology to find restaurants, hotels and local events.

The visitors bureau plans to launch a mobile app for the iPhone, Droid and BlackBerry on Oct. 1.

Laurie Paolicelli, executive director of the visitors bureau, said they contracted with Discover Anywhere Mobile to launch an app designed to be a tourism guide.

The initial design and production of the mobile phone app will cost $6,000.

The bureau budgeted $16,900 for new technology, funded through an occupancy tax on hotel stays in Orange County.

Paolicelli said technology is necessary for travel and tourism.

“Software controls our communication, and we need to look toward the future,” she said.

Contact the City Editor

at city@dailytarheel.com.