UNC field hockey shuts out Duke, Davidson

7456_0926_fieldhockey2_sherlongf.jpg
Rain, rain, go away. Students find refuge from the rain in Lenoir Friday.

It took three attempts to put away No. 9 Duke on Saturday, but the No. 2 North Carolina field hockey team’s persistence ultimately paid off.

After 85 minutes of scoreless play in a defensive battle against the Blue Devils, all the Tar Heels needed was a golden goal in the second overtime period to seal the win.

With the ball in the corner of Duke’s defensive zone, junior Kelsey Kolojejchick dribbled down the baseline before sending in a cross to Katelyn Falgowski, who dove to deflect the ball toward the goal.

After Falgowski’s attempt hit the pads of the goalie, Elizabeth Stephens hit the rebound back toward goal. The Duke goalie made another save, but the rebound rolled back to Stephens, who was finally able to push a backhanded shot in for the Tar Heels.

The game-winning goal sparked a double-shutout weekend for UNC, which earned 1-0 and 5-0 wins against Duke and Davidson respectively.

Stephens said passionate play was key for UNC to come away with the overtime victory against the Blue Devils.

“When you get into games like this, especially Carolina-Duke, the passion is something that is going to carry your team through,” she said. “When we went out there for that second overtime, we knew that we had to play smart, play together, play with our hearts and I think that we did that.”

Duke had its own opportunity to achieve sudden victory, but senior Rhian Jones failed to make contact with the ball after beating UNC goalie Sassi Ammer on a breakaway in the first overtime period.

The UNC defense limited Duke to only three penalty corners and five total shots — none of which were on target.

Junior Caitlin Van Sickle said Duke also played well defensively, allowing UNC 15 shots — five of which were on goal — and six corners.

“They are really good at getting low and blocking our attack, and we didn’t have nearly as many corners as we usually do,” Van Sickle said. “They did a good job of marking and just kind of limiting what we’re good at.”

Against Davidson, the Tar Heels faced much less resistance, tallying four goals by four different players in the opening eight minutes.

After scoring UNC’s first goal, Kolojejchick added a second after halftime and ended the game with two assists. She leads the team with 11 goals this season.

The UNC offense had an easier time against the Wildcats, but the Tar Heel defense exhibited a similar successful effort on Sunday, allowing only two shots.

Associate head coach Grant Fulton, who filled in for a sick head coach Karen Shelton on Sunday, said he was pleased with UNC’s defensive play against Davidson.

Kolojejchick added that playing two games in as many days will prove valuable as the season progresses — especially as the Tar Heels inch closer to the NCAA tournament.

“When we have back-to-back games, it’s kind of like prep for postseason play because you can go into double overtime and then expect to play another tough team,” Kolojejchick said.

“Just getting that experience, I thought, was really good for us.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.