Music review: Lizzy Ross, 'Read Me Out Loud'

When Dive reviewed Read Me Out Loud in our Sept. 29 issue, we incorrectly labeled “Maria, Maria” as a cover, among other things. We decided to give the record another listen and re-evaluate it.

Crisp like the air that denotes autumn’s arrival every year, there’s something powerfully refreshing about the soul that UNC alumna Lizzy Ross infuses into her music.

With a distinctly strong voice that rings with nostalgia, Lizzy Ross diversely explores the realms of rock, country and soul, with key elements from each genre manifesting themselves in all of her tracks. From beginning to end, Read Me Out Loud proves to be highly accessible, a well-crafted blend that draws listeners in with an easy-going hometown feel.

Whether slowed down or upbeat, the album’s songs not only encompass a variety genres and generations. On the title track, the band brings back sunshine-pop tendencies through sweet and soulful sounds that are only amplified by Ross’ fierce voice. Many of her lyrics touch on growing up and moving on from the past, quick reminders of where home remains.

On groovier songs like “Black River” and “Mad Farmer,” the band meshes funky blues with Ross’ breathy vocals. With slow, jangly percussion and sharp guitar, both songs are infectiously engaging, giving listeners more than one excuse to break it down.

While tracks like Latin-based “Maria, Maria” dare to venture into other genres and bring in musical diversity, the majority of Read Me Out Loud is based in its Americana foundation. Each song is distinct by its own measures, but there is room for a little more experimentation. Nonetheless, Ross’ passion effuses from every song and it’s clear the album comes from the heart.

Read Me Out Loud provides a varied collection of mature songs that stand alone just as well as they work together. Each is a result of sincere songwriting and creatively construed genres. Ultimately for Ross, these are the songs that serve as simple reminders of the process of growing up and remembering where you came from.