UNC’s Student Union to focus on displaying more student art

The Carolina Union Activities Board is filling a void.

In an effort to increase its presence on campus and give student artists a place to showcase their work, CUAB has put a new focus on the Student Union’s art gallery.

CUAB president Cierra Hinton said that the Union Gallery isn’t seen by most students as more than a place to study.

Sheridan Howie, arts chairwoman for CUAB, said that many student artists don’t realize that they can apply to exhibit their work in the gallery.

“I definitely want to publicize the gallery as a space for students to use,” she said. “I mean, it is the Student Union.”

Howie said she plans to have a new gallery show each month.

Students wanting to show work fill out an application that is then reviewed by the committee.

So far, the committee has received about five applications.

Jeremy Bass, a junior art major, said that the increased promotion has made more students aware of the gallery as a space to display their work.

This year marks a change in direction for art in the Union. Previously, two separate committees were in charge of the permanent art in the Union and the gallery.

Hinton combined several of the organization’s committees. In this restructuring, she merged the two visual arts committees into one.

“I felt like a smaller board would be more efficient, and we could produce better programs,” she said.

“Oftentimes I would find really cool art that would be neat to exhibit in the gallery when looking for potential purchases (for the permanent collection),” she said.

“It’s helped me to stay focused on keeping the gallery current and at the same time find pieces to add to the permanent collection.”

The gallery will also include shows by professional artists.

“Everything we do here should be giving students experience, whether it’s booking a show for the gallery or displaying your work,” he said.

Contact the Arts Editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.