A look back on legacy

Photo: Happy Birthday, UNC system (Isabella Cochrane)
For the first time ever, all Five presidents of the UNC System gathered together on Wednesday night in Memorial Hall. From Left to Right: Thomas W. Ross, Erskine Bowles, Molly Corbett Broad, C.D. Spangler, Jr., William C. Friday, and former North Carolina Governor James. E. Holshouser, Jr.

CORRECTION: The original version of this story stated that Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, has served in the Senate since 1964. Kinnaird has actually served in the Senate since 1997. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

For the past forty years, the UNC system’s 16 universities have upheld the state constitution’s mandate to keep the cost of education affordable.

The 16-institution system was formed in 1971 under the leadership of President Bill Friday — a man whose mission, during the 30 years that he led, was to keep higher education accessible to all North Carolinians.

But now, economic hardship, $1 billion in budget cuts in the past five years and discussion of substantial tuition increases have many administrators and legislators worried that the UNC system might be moving away from its tradition of keeping education affordable.

Four former system presidents and current president Thomas Ross commemorated the 40th anniversary of the consolidation of the system Wednesday night at Memorial Hall by discussing their successes and challenges as leaders of one of the oldest university systems.

Friday, Molly Broad, Dick Spangler and Erskine Bowles ended the discussion providing Ross with advice on how to handle his role during economic hardship.

Ross, who entered the presidency 10 months ago, has already faced $414 million cuts to the UNC system.

And with individual institutions preparing for tuition increase proposals to be submitted to the board in December, Ross has the potential to approve extensive tuition hikes — a decision that could be a turning point in the system’s history.

Hannah Gage, chairwoman of the UNC-system Board of Governors, said she thinks the system’s current economic situation is already a turning point.

“I’m looking specifically at the last four years. The first year we had budget cuts. The first year is an exception,” Gage said. “The second year, you hope it’s an exception. By the time you arrive at the third and the fourth year, it’s a trend.”

At the presidential panel, moderated by former Gov. Jim Holshouser Jr., at least two past system presidents urged Ross to not allow for substantial tuition increases for in-state undergraduates.

Dick Spangler, who led the system from 1987 to 1996, suggested 10 ways Ross could avoid raising tuition, including ending sabbaticals for professors, transferring all registered nursing programs to community colleges and raising out-of-state tuition.

“Otherwise we’re going to do something morally wrong,” Spangler told Ross and a room full of past and present system administrators. “We’re going to keep students out of our schools.”

John Sanders, a former Board of Governors member who worked alongside Friday during his term as president, said the system’s current struggle to maintain affordability without hurting the quality of education is comparable to what the University faced during the Great Depression.

But Sanders said there are also other factors that are greatly affecting the UNC system’s goal to maintain low-tuition costs.

“I don’t think the legislature was out to whack the University in particular,” he said about the N.C. General Assembly in the 1930s.

“I think there is a kind of vindictiveness or maybe a glee about the legislature from slicing the University today. They don’t feel that the state is suffering or is going to suffer as much from the loss of the University’s activities and services.”

In last year’s November election, Republicans gained control of both the House and the Senate for the first time since 1898 — a political shift that many were worried could have detrimental impacts on education in the state.

“I don’t think the people who are in control have the kind of personal investment in the University that would convince them on the basis of their own knowledge that the University is worth saving,” Sanders said.

Sen. Martin Nesbitt, D-Buncombe, who serves on the Senate committee on higher education, said the constitutional mandate to maintain low tuition costs has not been upheld.

“We haven’t done that,” Nesbitt said. “And the tuition has gone up, up, up.”

“I’m beginning to hear national conversations about whether a college education is even worth what it costs now.”

In January of last year, the state faced about a $3.7 billion budget deficit, which later decreased to a $2.4 billion budget deficit.

“We had to take action to balance the budget,” said Sen. Richard Stevens, R-Wake. “So throughout the state government there were significant cutbacks and that extended to higher education.”

“Is that a permanent thing? We certainly hope not.”

Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, who has served in the Senate since 1997, said she’s afraid the legislature is ignoring what needs to be a priority.

“We need to make sure we have access through funding,” Kinnaird said. “What I’m afraid of is that we’re turning our back on that.”

“I heard yesterday that the city of Rockford, Ill. is removing streetlights,” she said. “When we come down to something like that — that we have to remove streetlights — our priorities are completely skewed.”

As universities across the state draw up their proposals for tuition increases and administrators continue to question how high is too high, Kinnaird said those involved in the process need to stay true to the historical tradition of affordable education.

“We need to sound the alarm, because we’ve got to keep our University great,” she said.

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.