Incident tests UNC-W alert noti?cations

An individual who robbed two women near UNC-Wilmington’s campus has not been caught, but university officials say there are no plans to change security policies in light of the incident.

The armed robbery was reported Monday night by two women near campus, who were in their car when a man threatened them in the parking lot of Hardee’s on South College Road. He reportedly ran toward campus at 11:58 p.m. after taking their cellphones and a wallet.

The campus locked down immediately, and its alert system notified students and faculty of a dangerous and armed individual possibly on campus and advised all personnel to stay inside.

Campus police and dogs searched for the man, but the lock down ended at 5:40 a.m. Tuesday with a warning to campus personnel to stay alert.

Classes resumed as normal Tuesday despite the fact that the man had still not been apprehended by campus police.

Cindy Lawson, assistant to UNC-W’s chancellor, said there’s no reason to believe that the suspect is still on campus.

Administrators have no intention of changing the procedures for campus police, which focus on communication and the alert system, she said.

“When something like this is brought to our attention, we make sure we communicate through email, a banner on the web page, you know social media — everything we have available,” she said.

UNC-W conducted a review of its campus alert system after it failed to notify students of a shooting at an apartment complex off campus in July. Administrators said at the time that the failure of UNC-W’s siren and text message notifications was a rare event and not due to a lack of testing.

UNC-W campus police decided to extend existing safety policies to areas near campus after the incident in July, Lawson said.

The number of reported robberies at UNC-W has remained low during the past 3 years, while the number of reported burglaries — or incidents involving stolen goods, not physical harm — has increased. According to statistics from the UNC-W campus police, there was only one reported robbery between 2008 and 2010 but 105 reported burglaries.

The Wilmington Police Department also assisted campus police in the investigation of the recent robbery.

Lucy Crockett, public affairs officer for the chief of police, said the robbery occurred in a busy location for the city.

“Unfortunately, South College Road is the main north-south artery, the main commercial road, so it’s not unusual to have robberies there,” she said.

Samuel Pisano, student body president at UNC-W, said he believes the campus’ response was appropriate even though the man involved in the robbery remains at large.

“I believe it’s a pretty standard,” he said. “I’m disappointed by how it wrapped up, but I don’t think anyone’s too concerned for their safety at this point.”

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.