Some living-learning communities to downsize at UNC

Due to a lack of interest and participation, the Department of Housing and Residential Education plans to downsize some of UNC’s living-learning communities.

The Religion as Explorative Learning Integrated in our Community (RELIC), Substance-Free and Men@Carolina living-learning communities will be affected due to declining participation during the past three years.

Students with similar interests such as foreign language, public service or religion can opt for living-learning community student housing. These students collaborate with peers and plan events within residence halls.

Other living-learning communities’ participation numbers have grown or at least been maintained over the past three years, Rick Bradley, assistant director of Housing and Residential Education said.

This fall, the Substance-Free community will be reduced from two buildings to one, and RELIC and Men@Carolina will no longer exist as living-learning communities, instead becoming “student interest housing.”

Bradley said the goal of student interest housing is to serve as an incubator for programs that could achieve or return to living-learning community status.

Housing director Larry Hicks said groups of students can petition the housing department to create student interest groups, which can request funding from the University, and could eventually apply to become fully funded living-learning communities.

Next year, the Men@Carolina interest group will request housing at Odum Village Apartments, and the RELIC interest group will again be given space in Grimes Residence Hall, Bradley said.

“I have mixed feelings about it,” said Kaitlyn Vogt, a Substance-Free student coordinator.

“It’s really sad that we’re losing Alexander (Residence Hall), but it’s probably a good thing that it’s one building because we’ll have the opportunity to make a tight-knit community,” she said.

Vogt said Substance-Free community participants currently living in Alexander must move to Joyner Residence Hall if they would like to remain in the program next year.

Hicks said the adjustment will free up additional space for returning students on North Campus.

In late November, the housing department considered requiring most freshmen to live on South Campus, but canceled the plans following confusion from students. Bradley said the plans for living-learning communities were in the works months before.

“The decisions about (living-learning community) programs occurred first and met demand,” he said.

All other housing decisions for next year will be based on recent survey data, Bradley said.

He said the housing department is focusing on finding ways to increase students’ desire to live on campus. The initial plan to lower freshman numbers on North Campus stemmed from the survey results.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.