School of Information and Library Science to offer dual-degree program

8746_0110_5years_hullf.jpg
Junior Biology Major Dipa Desai sifts through books in the stacks in the SILS Library in Manning Hall. The School of Information and Library Science just announced that it is offering a 5-year masters program. SILS is the number one information and library science school in the country.

The School of Information and Library Science will begin offering a five-year bachelor’s and master’s degree program for all students in the school with at least one year left, school officials said.

The school’s new dual-degree program was approved at the end of the fall semester and is aimed at pinpointing the most dedicated students early on in their academic careers.

“We want to identify these students early so we can help them plan degrees as a whole unit rather than two separate pieces,” said Stephanie Haas, a professor in the school and coordinator of the program.

“It will also give them an advantage in the job market.”

UNC’s Academic Plan encourages the University to offer more bachelor’s to master’s degree programs that can be completed in four or five years. The school, ranked No. 1 library and information studies school in the nation by U.S. News and World Report, is the latest at UNC to do so.

Haas said students pursuing the dual degree will have more opportunities for internships, allowing students to make lasting professional connections.

“They will have the ability to get a breadth of experience through coursework and be able to do more in-depth study in a particular area, to really specialize,” she said.

The dual degree is also aimed at keeping the school competitive with its peers, which offer similar educational programs.

“We hope to offer (this program) as a competitive advantage,” Haas said, adding that the joint program doesn’t cut any courses from either degree.

“Students are still doing two full degrees. There aren’t any shortcuts or discounts.”

Gary Marchionini, dean of the school, said in an email that he’s excited about the opportunities for students.

“It will give well-prepared students a chance to … fast-track into leadership positions in the information professions.”

Several current undergraduates have already expressed an interest in the new dual-degree program.

Haas added that students interested in applying should do so as soon as possible.

“The earlier we can work with them, the better, because it takes a lot of course planning and selection,” she said.

Amanda Holt, a sophomore studying information science, said she plans to apply to the dual-degree program.

“It’s going to give me a competitive edge that is so necessary in the modern workforce,” she said.

“This is an exciting prospect for me. I feel like I will be surrounded by people who are also passionate about the subject in this program.”

Information science doctoral student Justin Brinegar said he wishes the program had been available when he was pursuing his undergraduate degree.

“A dual-degree program would allow a student the opportunity to dive much deeper into his or her coursework and research interests.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.