Urinals are going to be shelved as part of a larger South Campus renovation to two residence halls this summer.

Ehringhaus and Craige Residence Halls will receive $2 million in new features for rooms and bathrooms just in time for the fall semester as a push to keep students on campus.

Students can expect faux-wood floors and blinds alongside updated furniture, said Rick Bradley, assistant director of Housing and Residential Education.

In the bathrooms, the department plans to reglaze tiles and replace urinals with shelving.

Bradley said changes will not include bringing central air conditioning to the residence halls, which now have window units.

“As soon as you say central air, you’re talking a $20 million project,” he said, adding that the residence halls would also have to be shut down for a year during construction.

A model suite featuring the anticipated updates is available on the first floor of Ehring?haus.

Some Craige residents said they are excited by the plan.

“I think it definitely could use some renovations,” said freshman Kerry Walsh.

None of the male students interviewed said he would be too upset by the loss of urinals in his bathrooms.

“As a guy, I’d like a urinal,” said freshman Dylan Cunningham, but he added he would be happy to have somewhere to keep his towels and toiletries.

Few students said the updates would have changed their minds about moving to North campus or off campus after their freshman years. They did say they would have enjoyed the features as freshmen.

“It’s kind of rough in there,” said freshman Gary Cela.

Bradley said the updates are part of a push to help keep more students on campus.

He said the 400 room vacancies in fall 2011 deprived the department of $1.2 million in revenue. The department is funded by student room fees.

Previously, the department attempted to stop reserving space on North Campus for freshman in an attempt to keep upperclassmen from moving off campus.

The decision was reversed after confusion from students.

Updating dorms was among the suggestions students gave to the department, Bradley said.

“We’re marketing just like anyone with a business does,” he said.

“We’re trying to offer a product that students are interested in.”

Walsh said updates would make her more likely to stay on South Campus.

“If they did some remodeling, I would consider living here again,” she said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.