FLO pushes for ‘real food’

UNC students could see changes to their dinner plates in the coming years if Chancellor Holden Thorp chooses to endorse a proposal presented to him today.

But the standards used to reform food options offered by Carolina Dining Services differ between that department and the student group pushing for the changes.

The student group FLO (Fair, Local, Organic) Food is asking Thorp to commit UNC to making at least 20 percent of all food served in the dining halls “real food” by 2020.

If Thorp signs on along with a member of Carolina Dining Services, then UNC will officially become a part of the Real Food Challenge, which considers food “real” if it is ecologically sound, humane, fair and community-based.

These factors are measured by the “Real Food Calculator,” which is still in development, said Suzanne Fleishman, a member of FLO.

Carolina Dining Services considers food “real” if it is produced within 250 miles of campus, qualifying 30 percent of its food as “real.”

According to FLO, which uses national guidelines, only 10 to 12 percent is “real.”

Mike Freeman, director of auxiliary services, said the department doesn’t know the specific criteria used by the national movement and therefore can’t account for the difference.

“We asked what the criteria is, and we’ve been told we’re not supposed to have it. We’re not supposed to get it,” Freeman said.

“It’s hard to commit to something when we haven’t seen the full criteria.”

Fleishman said Carolina Dining Services received a working copy of the calculator, but all criteria for “real food” will not be released until the calculator is finalized within the next few months.

She added that the department has already been working with FLO, which helped provide options like cage-free eggs.

Freeman said paying for local and organic food can be more expensive, and that cost is a factor in approving the proposal.

“We are stewards to also try to hold down the cost, and that’s been a challenge.”

Sarah Acuff, another member of FLO, said committing to the 20 percent proposal would help the University’s reputation as an innovative school, and also help FLO bring more “real food” to campus.

“Thorp seems to be very personally in favor of supporting the efforts and the ethics behind it,” she said. “Even if this doesn’t happen in the next few months or the semester, we’re not going to stop our efforts.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.