Foushee will run for District 50 General Assembly seat

10760_0214_valerief.jpg

When N.C. General Assembly Rep. Bill Faison, D-Orange, announced his gubernatorial campaign last month, Valerie Foushee received a flood of calls asking her to run for his seat.

Foushee, who has been an Orange County commissioner for seven years, acted on their suggestions and announced her candidacy Monday.

“I see it as an opportunity to continue service to the people of Orange County and now the people of Durham County,” she said.

If elected, Foushee, who is running as a Democrat, would represent District 50.

She said she will aim to promote economic recovery, protect education funding, strengthen health care and restore transparency.

“I think she’ll bring commitment to social justice and education and commitment to protect the interests of local government and individuals,” Commissioner Barry Jacobs said.

Jacobs said she has advocated for education, child welfare, affordable housing and the Rogers Road community.

Claire Millar, who works with Foushee on the Orange County Board of Social Services, said she is impressed by Foushee’s ability to stay informed on many issues.

“She’s just incredibly enthusiastic,” Millar said. “I’m really impressed by how much she’s always doing.”

Foushee was the first black woman to be elected to the board.

“At a time when there are fewer and fewer minorities in our legislature, she brings a different perspective than the good old boy network,” Jacobs said.

Foushee said she announced her campaign early in order to give people a chance to organize an effective campaign, but she is not worried about a suitable candidate replacing her as commisioner.

“Orange County has a wealth of individuals who are highly capable of serving on the board,” she said. “If there’s anything I worry the least about it’s my replacement.”

Foushee’s departure means two seats are up for election in district 1 with only one running incumbent, Pam Hemminger. So far, Chapel Hill Town Council member Penny Rich has also filed for a seat.

Jacobs said Foushee will be missed, but he is confident that others will help to represent the same interests.

“I like to think there are other people on the board, like me, who will represent those issues,” he said.

Commissioner Earl McKee said he appreciates Foushee’s openness to new ideas and hopes her replacement will share that quality.

Republicans Rod Chaney and William Lewis Hannah Jr. have also filed their candidacy for the District 50 seat.

But for now, Foushee said her priority is her work as a commissioner.

“This is my community,” she said.

“I’ve lived in Orange County all my life, so this is an opportunity to give back.”

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.