Higher Education Bond’s end hurts building budgets systemwide

In addition to overall budget cuts, the bond that has been sustaining construction and renovation projects at UNC for a decade has expired, causing delays in projects across the UNC system.

UNC

The fund was in use from 2000 to 2010, during which time each school system was able to complete tens of millions of dollars in both construction and renovation projects.

But the $2.5 billion has been depleted and the need for new space and renovations is piling up, leaving system schools with the challenge of completing construction projects with little state financial support.

Greg Lovins, vice chancellor of business affairs at Appalachian State University, said the absence of the bond money has made it difficult for some schools in the western part of the state to survive the winter.

“There is no funding available to help us meet the needs of our students,” he said.

But, in the years since the bond ran out, ASU has received no funding for capital projects and very little for repair and renovation.

UNC-Charlotte has been facing similar problems throughout the past few years, with its limited facilities strained by large increases in enrollment.

According to the UNC-C Office of Financial Services, enrollment has increased by more than 9,000 students between 2000 and 2011, creating a dire need for additional housing and classroom space.

This need is generally filled by an enrollment fund, which is money granted by the state to schools that need financial support for increasing enrollment.

Throughout the past few years, however, the state’s enrollment funding has been exceeded by state budget cuts. The UNC-system’s budget was cut by $414 million this past year.

UNC

N.C. State University has also felt a fiscal crunch recently, said Kevin MacNaughton, associate vice chancellor for facilities for the university.

The transformation, enabled by the bond, was dramatic, said MacNaughton in an email.

“However, there was hope that the remaining needs for renovation would be addressed in a subsequent bond program which has not materialized.”

MacNaughton described the need for repair and renovation funds as “mounting.”

Lovins said the lack of funding and the insecurity about when it might come has left many schools in a tough position.

“We now have to just cobble together funds to meet as many basic needs as possible.”

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.