All up in your business for March 14, 2012

The Cave looking for new owner

The Cave, a tavern on Franklin Street which has been there for 44 years, is up for sale, but has yet to receive any offers.

Rob Walsh, manager at The Cave, said that Mouse Mock who has owned the tavern for 12 years is just looking for an out and is simply looking for the business to change hands.

“We’re just looking for some new blood to buy into and reinvigorate the place,” said Walsh.

The Cave which is listed on Craig’s List for $65,000 will not entertain any offers for using the space for commercial interests and will only sell to someone willing to continue The Cave as is. However, no inquiries or offers have been made to date.

Reed Turchi, a senior at UNC and a member of the band TURCHI, said when his band played at The Cave on March 1, it was successful and well attended.

“Our first show there was a success and we look forward to being back there,” said Turchi. “It is a venue that was happy to showcase local and up-and-coming talent.”

If no offers are made, The Cave will continue business as is said Walsh, however he said Mock feels burnt out.

Johnny’s Gone Fishing is back

Johnny’s Gone Fishing, a small grocery store on West Main Street in Carrboro that closed last summer, reopened this past Christmas.

“We knew it was a strange time to open but circumstances made it so that we had to open when we did,” said Erica Eisdorfer, one of three partners at the shop. “The longer people saw it vacant, the more we would have to work to reopen and get the customers back.”

Eisdorfer said the building has undergone many changes since it closed in June including the expansion of the indoor space and the variety of products they sell.

The store, which sells groceries, serves coffee and features “grab and go” kind of foods, has put a bigger emphasis on selling locally produced items like eggs, cheese, and meat from nearby farms, and locally made crafts, soaps, and baked goods.

The store is also working to get permission to serve on-site alcohol and get music back so that the store can be the gathering place it was last summer, said Eisdorfer. They would like to attract more kids to the store, and will use live acoustic music which will be more appealing to the neighbors.

“Our store is a good thing for Carrboro because it can be a gathering place for people of all different ages,” said Eisdorfer. “It’s not going to be a bar for students, and it’s not a senior center, but a sort of a place where families can get together.”

Art at 140 West

In an effort to promote public art in Chapel Hill, 140 West, a new plaza being built on Franklin Street, is receiving the help of North Carolinian artists to finish the exterior and interior of the building.

Currently under construction, 140 West is expected to be completed in May and will incorporate condominiums, retail, and parking.

Kendria Sweet, spokeswoman for Ram Development, said one percent of the budget for 140 West will go towards the funding of the artwork.

This project will feature a variety of pieces both inside and outside the building and will include a mural by Gordon Huether, a sculpture by Mikyoung Kim and other artwork from artists throughout North Carolina.

“We made an agreement with the town that we would highlight public art within our space and we really embraced the idea of using artwork from North Carolina artists,” said Sweet.

Installation of the artwork will start after the building’s completion and Sweet said she expects to see art on display by late fall.

Contact City desk at city@dailytarheel.com