Chapel Hill High School students get lesson in government from local officials

Students at Chapel Hill High School usually learn civics out of textbooks, but on Thursday afternoon their lesson plan got a little more personal.

Local government officials spent two hours teaching students what local government does for them as part of the school’s local government day. In return, the teenagers asked questions about officials’ functions and opinions.

Social studies teacher Jennifer Ballew said the day was a fun way for students to learn more about topics covered in civics and economics, like the role of local, state and federal government.

She said it also allows them to get to know their local government officials.

“I hope that they learn that the decisions these people make have a pretty big impact on their daily lives,” Ballew said.

Students researched local officials in the classes leading up to the event.

“Getting to know them is really cool,” sophomore Maddie Shaw said.

Local Government Day also allowed students to voice their own concerns about policies, such as the recent cell phone ban.

Students were especially vocal about the cell phone ban with Chapel Hill Town Council member Penny Rich, who originally suggested it.

Rich said she was able to voice her reasons for making the decision and felt students were more informed about her reasons for suggesting the ban.

“I think that it’s really refreshing to hear the perspective of high school students,” Rich said. “They see the world with different eyes.”

Students said the event helped them take what they learned in class and see how it works in the real world.

“I learned what roles the mayor actually has, and that he’s just a normal person,” sophomore Jacqi Lanner said.

Orange County Commissioner Bernadette Pelissier said she thought the event should occur every year because it helped students understand what elected officials do.

“If people don’t understand the role of government and the larger community, it’s going to be very hard to make things go forward.”

Contact the City Editor
at city@dailytarheel.com.