In some ways Brooklyn-via-Columbia, Mo., indie rockers White Rabbits have the sounds of their musical affiliates permanently embedded in their music.

From playing various touring gigs with bands like The Walkmen, Interpol and Spoon, the band has since produced a sound that manages to lie within the same vein of edgy, synth-layered experimentation.

On Milk Famous, it’s most certainly the latter band that has heavily influenced White Rabbits the most. But considering the bands’ musical relationship with Spoon, perhaps it is only appropriate.

Spoon frontman Britt Daniel produced 2009’s It’s Frightening and White Rabbits have continued the connection with former Spoon producer Mike McCarthy on its latest release.

While it’s clear the band has yet to completely move away from the Spoon influence, White Rabbits still manage to make Milk Famous an original album.

The key to distinguishing themselves is diversity and it’s still apparent on Milk Famous.

While rugged opener “Heavy Metal” kicks things off with its sparse and funky beat and harsh insertions of guitar, the band has transitioned to slightly more dazed (yet just as catchy) melodies on songs like “Hold it to the Fire” and album closer “I Had It Coming.”

Dissimilarly, “Danny Come Inside” is a speedy track that starts with anxious keys and fills with echoes of synth coming from all directions. Paired with Stephen Patterson’s consistently elevated vocals, the album is an interesting listen that wavers without losing the audience.

But overall, it’s often hard to pull White Rabbits from the heavy influence of Spoon. While there is certainly some applause in order for the way the band has ventured into different territories of sound, Milk Famous is still on the cusp of breaking beyond influence.

If a Spoon prodigy is what White Rabbits is going for, then they’ve nailed it; however let’s hope that the band is still working on developing an individual sound, and for that, Milk Famous is a step in the right direction.