Alumni panel talks about jobs for graduating seniors

Many seniors have no idea what they’re going to do after graduation — but alumni said they shouldn’t be too worried.

University Career Services’ Senior Series hosted an alumni panel Tuesday, offering advice to those graduating on May 13.

Each of the four panelists said they had little or no plans past switching the tassel to the other side.

“On graduation day, I had no idea what I was going to do,” said Kelsey Swanson, a business developer for Kompleks Creative Inc.

Looking for a job proved to be difficult, which panelists said was frustrating.

“My biggest surprise was finding out that the job search process would take a while,” said Jack Michel, a senior technical recruiter for Ettain Group.

“I wish I had started earlier, I had a lot of trouble being patient,” he said.

Michel told students that job searching is all about networking and building relationships.

The panel was composed of a diverse group of alumni — while some were professionals, others were graduate students.

Alice Wang, a Ph.D. student in environmental sciences and engineering in the Gillings School of Global Public Health advised students to be flexible.

“I applied for the Peace Corps and Teach For America, but you have to understand that plans change, and you just have to go with it,” she said.

Students interested in graduate programs should start applying for grants and scholarships as soon as possible, she added.

Brian Woodard, a masters student in education at UNC, said the most important piece of advice he can offer is to enjoy senior year.

“Enjoy each moment you have with your friends, soon everyone will be moving away,” he said.

Students will only be offered UCS programs and services for six months after graduation, so they should act fast, said UCS Senior Assistant Director Amy Hitlin.

“Take advantage of programs you all have right now, even if they make you step outside your comfort zone,” Swanson said.

General Alumni Association representative Kat Jackson said students can join the GAA with an annual fee after graduation and have access to job postings from other alumni.

“Young alumni can really benefit from it, especially if they’re relocating to a new area,” she said. “It’s good to network and connect with other Carolina alum.”

Sam Stokes, a senior economics and math major, said it was good to get advice from those who have been through it before.

“I’d rather hear advice from alumni,” he said. “So you know you’re hearing the truth.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.