Carolina Flats might replace Horace Williams Airport with Town Council OK

When Horace Williams Airport closes, it might open the door for a new student housing complex called Carolina Flats @ Estes.

The 16-acre development would have buildings too tall for the area’s airplane-friendly zoning, but developers are asking Chapel Hill Town Council to change restrictions and approve their concept plan.

The proposal is creating a stir among neighbors, who will have a chance to comment on it at tonight’s Town Council meeting.

If approved, the development, proposed for the corner of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Estes Drive, would feature student housing and a four-story hotel.

The housing will feature student-geared amenities like wireless Internet, study rooms and one- to four-bedroom apartments. The hotel would cater to visitors looking for suite-style accommodations at a projected price of $100 to $140 per night.

“When my mom has visited, she’s had to stay far away from campus,” UNC student Juan Olano said. “So it would be a lot more convenient to have an affordable hotel nearby.”

When the development’s concept plan was first presented to the community design commission March 21, residents and commissioners expressed concerns about traffic.

Lee Wilson, a resident of nearby Woodshire Lane, said he is considering moving because of the potential lack of privacy that the development might bring.

“I object to the hotel more than the apartments,” he said. “I don’t think it’s appropriate.”

Scott Radway, the development’s planning and design consultant, said it would be about the same scale as one building approved for the Carolina North development located across the street and about the same density as the existing adjacent Shadowood Apartments.

Radway said there is a strong demand for modern student housing in Chapel Hill.

Kay Pearlstein, a senior planner for the Chapel Hill Planning Department, said it is likely the area would be rezoned when the Horace Williams airport closes.

But the project will have to gain approval, not just rezoning, to proceed.

Radway said the approval process could cost about $500,000, and optimistically the development would be approved by June 2013.

Pearlstein said it would be prudent for developers to wait until June, when Chapel Hill 2020, the town’s new comprehensive plan, is set to be released. Then developers could align the complex with its goals.

Until then the developers will be able to get feedback from town meetings.

Radway said growth should be a priority for Chapel Hill, whether the development is approved before or after Chapel Hill 2020 is completed.

“The idea that we should stop and wait is the absolute antithesis of what Chapel Hill is.”

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.