Non-discrimination task force finalizes plan to create clearer policy for campus groups

With just days before its self-imposed deadline, the group charged with examining UNC’s non-discrimination policy is closing in on a recommendation to alter the policy, not replace it.

The non-discrimination policy task force, composed of administration, faculty and students, will have its final meeting this Friday to solidify its recommendations to Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Winston Crisp.

Crisp will then review its work and decide what changes he wants to make, if any.

The task force was created in response to the controversial decision of the a cappella group Psalm 100 to expel senior Will Thomason, who is gay, for his views on homosexuality.

Under the current policy, groups are allowed to discriminate based on beliefs but not a set of personal characteristics. The decision to clear Psalm 100 after a University investigation sparked complaints about the ambiguity of the policy.

After reviewing policies at peer universities, the task force is not planning on recommending a policy that would ban student groups from any form of discrimination in choosing members, said task force co-chairwoman Bettina Shuford, associate vice chancellor for student affairs.

“We don’t want to say if you don’t let everyone in, then you have to leave,” said Cameron Parker, an undergraduate member of the task force.

Instead, the task force is looking to simply alter the policy to create a clearer procedure for outlining an organization’s core beliefs and values.

“That would be the thing they would regulate membership on,” Parker said. “It would make it more transparent.”

“We’re basically adjusting or tweaking the current policy we have so we can better understand what a group’s core beliefs are,” said Tony Patterson, senior associate director of the Carolina Union.

Undergraduate member Jagir Patel said there are several different ways the University can clarify its policy, but this option is a favorite among group members.

“I think any policy that has mechanisms where students are aware of their membership rights is really strong,” Patel said.

Patterson said one option might be to separate groups into different categories, asking for a more explicit outline of beliefs for religious and political groups.

“We don’t want anything that’s too arduous on groups where this may not be an issue,” he said.

Chairman of UNC College Republicans Garrett Jacobs said he doesn’t think the change will affect the group.

“I can definitely see it affecting some other groups, but since we are the College Republicans I think it’s already pretty clear where we stand,” he said.

Josh Orol, co-president of Hillel, said he doesn’t see Hillel being affected, either.

“We’re a Jewish organization, and we let people know that,” he said.

“We don’t actually have members. We’re just happy to accept anyone who’s interested in coming.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.