UNC sororities to impose tighter recruiting restrictions in fall 2012

Though they have not been the focus of the Greek system’s reform-minded critics in recent years, the University’s sororities are tightening the rules on how they recruit new members.

Starting this summer, chapters will be subject to a series of more strongly-enforced regulations aimed at discouraging summer recruitment parties, promising bids to prospective new members and violating ‘no booze, no boys,’ the 11-day period in which sorority members are forbidden from consuming alcohol and talking to men.

Ana Samper, president of the Panhellenic Council, said the changes are aimed at putting all potential new members on a level playing field.

“How do we regulate recruitment so that no girl feels she is at a disadvantage because of where she attended high school or whether she attended summer parties?” Samper said.

Samper added that the changes were the idea of the Panhellenic Council’s leadership, but were prompted in part by expectations from outside stakeholders such as the Parents Council and the Board of Trustees.

“A stagnant Greek system is not going to be recognized,” she said.

In fall 2010, the Board of Trustees undertook an effort to reform the system, expressing concern that freshmen interested in joining fraternities or sororities were not being given enough time to join other campus organizations. As a result, the board mandated that all Greek organizations begin offering spring recruitment.

“The Board of Trustees brought up the whole theme of the potential new members and recognizing that not everyone wants in the first two weeks of school to join a sorority,” said Jermisha Dodson, who serves as an adviser to the Panhellenic executive board.

Fraternities were the primary focus of the board’s conversation, but sororities established a quota system last fall requiring each chapter to take a certain number of upperclassmen.

One notable change for the coming fall comes in how the Panhellenic Council will handle Bid Day, when sororities hand out membership to potential new members.

This fall, Bid Day will be a private event, a change that comes in response to large, raucous crowds that often gather to watch the proceedings.

“It’s intimidating for a girl to have an actual reaction to her bid card … if she feels like she’s being watched,” Samper said.

Jack Partain, president of the Interfraternity Council, said the IFC does not plan to tighten regulations on its recruitment, since positive changes have already been implemented.

“There’s been ample time for us to improve and since (the Board of Trustees’) mandates have come down we have improved,” Partain said, adding that a member of the IFC’s executive board is required to attend every recruiting event.

“We’re always looking for opportunities to improve, but I think we’re in a good place right now.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.