Carolina Performing Arts announces 2012-2013 season

Carolina Performing Arts will bring nine world premieres and two U.S. premieres from around the globe to the Memorial Hall stage in its 2012-2013 season.

The upcoming season, which was announced Wednesday night at a preview for donors and members of the media, will include 15 performances commemorating the 100th anniversary of The Rite of Spring at 100 (Rite 100), what Executive Director for the Arts Emil Kang called an anti-ballet and one of the most important pieces in music.

“Every time I hear it, it’s like hearing it for the first time,” Kang said at the preview.

Carolina Performing Arts commissioned 11 new works that interpret “The Rite of Spring” in the forms of music, movement and imagery. The new works are performed and created by artists such as cellist Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble, choreographer Bill Jones and puppeteer Basil Twist.

Outside of the “Rite of Spring,” the season will include renowned performers spanning many genres, such as progressive bluegrass band the Punch Brothers and the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.

For the first time, Carolina Performing Arts will welcome the N.C. Jazz Repertory Orchestra’s “Jazz for the Holidays,” and the Dafnis Prieto Sextet, which will perform in conjunction with the Carolina Jazz Festival.

Carolina Performing Arts’ eighth season consists collectively of 46 performances. Kang said the strength of the upcoming performances and the number of returning performers represents the caliber of Carolina Performing Arts.

“It’s a really great validation of the impact of our work,” he said.

A complete list of the season’s performances can be found here.