Golf coach tabbed as Assistant Coach of the Year

Patricia Earley was honored by the National Golf Coaches Association

At the National Golf Coaches Association Division I Awards Banquet May 26, the NGCA honored a couple of North Carolina women’s golfers and the assistant coach.

Patricia Earley, who is in her ninth season as UNC assistant coach, was given the Eaton Golf Pride NGCA Assistant Golf Coach of the Year award for her efforts this season.

“I nominated her for assistant coach of the year and I was so pleased to see that she won the award,” head coach Jan Mann said.

“She and I work so closely together and have so much fun together and the girls absolutely love her. She’s done just a fantastic job, she helps so much in the day-to-day operations of the team and takes a lot of the pressure off me.”

Mann said that the two of them share the coaching responsibilities on the course but Earley’s efforts with logistics allow Mann to focus on coaching.

Senior Catherine O’Donnell was named NGCA All-West Region at the banquet and sophomore Katherine Perry was named honorable mention All-America for her eighth place finish in the national championship. Both girls had nothing but good things to say about their assistant coach.

“Oh God, I love Patricia to death,” O’Donnell said. “She’s great. She does anything and everything for us and goes above and beyond all the time. I couldn’t ask for a better assistant coach than her. She’s so close with all the girls and has a special relationship with each one of them which I think is great. She’s done wonders for the program I just can’t say enough about her.”

Perry was also enthusiastic about her relationship with Earley.

“We can talk to Patricia about anything,” Perry said. “She’s great on the course, always keeps us smiling. She does a lot of the busy work. She’s just great, we’ve had a great relationship with her.”