Paul Frampton may be released next week

12493_0705_framptonf.jpg

Paul Frampton

UNC physics professor Paul Frampton said he may be released as soon as next week. He has been held in an Argentine jail on charges of smuggling cocaine for more than five months.

Frampton said in a letter that there was a unified attempt among his supporters to intervene on a governmental level, involving the Ministers of Science and Justice, as well as the president of Argentina.

Eugen Merzbacher, a professor in the department of physics and astronomy, said he had recently signed a petition that will be delivered to the president of Argentina this week.

Frampton’s release was denied in April, and an appeal was denied on May 31, according to his letter.

Mark Williams, a UNC mathematics professor, said Frampton told him he expects his trial to begin soon, but that the legal process has been delayed several times.

“We’re waiting to see what’s going to happen, and we could have important news any day,” Williams said.

The 68-year-old Frampton wrote that the five months in the Devoto prison in Buenos Aires has been detrimental to his mental and physical health.

Frampton wrote in the most recent letter that he has had about ten colds and various viruses while in prison.

However, Frampton said his mental health has improved, and he has published five journal articles while he’s been in prison.

Frampton, a distinguished professor of physics and astronomy at UNC, was arrested Jan. 23 after Buenos Aires airport officials found drugs in his luggage.

Frampton claims he’s innocent and said he will likely return to teach at UNC this fall.

Williams said Frampton thought he was meeting a young woman from the Internet, but instead an agent asked him to take a suitcase to the United States.

Frampton’s pay has been suspended by UNC while he is in jail, which Frampton has challenged.

Supporters of Frampton have written character references and sent financial donations to him via his ex-wife, Anne-Marie Frampton.

The support website helppaulframpton.org went active about a week ago and contains a list of individuals publicly supporting Frampton.

Williams and physics professor Hugon Karwowski have been leading the effort.

Williams said one of the most important reasons behind the effort is to let Frampton know that people at UNC are thinking about him and trying to help.

“Judging from things said in newspapers, he’s been feeling quite abandoned by UNC,” Williams said. “I think he’s shown a lot of courage in prison.”

UNC officials said they could not comment, as it is classified as a personnel matter.

Merzbacher was the department chair when Frampton was hired as an assistant professor. Merzbacher wrote a letter supporting Frampton.

“I know he’s never used illegal drugs,” he said. “He’s certainly been very naive and gullible, but he just doesn’t deserve to be in jail.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.