Carolina Creates to launch website Friday

Carolina Creates staff: Hudson Vincent (President), Adam Jutha (Director of Communication), Alex Almeter (Director of Finance), Rebecca Egger (Director of Marketing and Design), Courtney Sandford (Director of Outreach and Development); Carolina Creates Global Directors-Rachel Myrick and Mackenzie Thomas; Online Directors-Daniel Rue and Kevin Kimball; Visual Arts Directors-Manchen Hao (not pictured) and Margrethe Williams; Writers Director-Alex Karsten; (not pictured) Music Directors-David August and Patrick Carney

Carolina Creates is already making noise on campus.

The organization, which started last October, branched off from Chancellor Holden Thorp’s Innovate@Carolina campaign.

The initiative’s areas of focus are music, visual arts, global studies and writing. The group raised more than $100,000 last year, and this year members are looking to do more.

Carolina Creates will launch a new website and hold a celebration Friday in Polk Place at 11:30 a.m.

CarolinaCreates.com will be a platform encouraging arts collaboration on campus, members said.

“This will show who we are, what we’re doing and what the site will offer,” said Hudson Vincent, director of Carolina Creates.

David August, co-director of Carolina Creates Music, said he and his fellow directors have big plans this year.

“We really took ‘the sky’s the limit’ to heart this year,” August said.

The leaders of Carolina Creates said they hope that the launch of the website will increase their presence on campus.

“We’re really excited to see what we can do this year,” Vincent said.

Q/A

Margrethe Williams, co-director of Carolina Creates Visual Arts

DTH: How did you find out about Carolina Creates?:
Williams: I found out about it through a listserv.

DTH: What are your goals for this year?
Williams: To showcase artwork in innovative ways.

DTH: What should everyone expect this year from Carolina Creates? Williams: We have three exhibitions coming up — one on Sept. 21 at Night Light in conjunction with Carolina Creates Music.

David August, Co-Director of Carolina Creates Music

DTH: How did you find out about Carolina Creates?
August: I just applied and got it.

DTH: What are your goals for this year?
August: Keep music in the mind of students. Chapel Hill is number four for the college town music scene.

DTH: What should everyone expect this year from Carolina Creates?
August: A show in the Forest Theater show on Aug. 30 from 5-8 p.m. and Pit Performances every week.

Alex Karsten, Director of Carolina Creates Writers

Karsten: I actually was doing my own thing which was a smaller version of the literary arts magazine.

DTH: What are your goals for this year?
Karsten: Shoulddoes.com, an online magazine to have fresh material updated five days a week. It’s a huge undertaking.

Karsten: Application for full-time contributors in September.

Rachel Myrick, Co-Director of Carolina Creates Global

Myrick: Mackenzie Thomas and I are co-directors of TEDxUNC. We ran the inaugural TEDxUNC last January and will coordinate TEDxUNC 2013 this year, as well.

DTH: What are your goals for this year?
Myrick: To have an even bigger and better conference that engages students, faculty, staff, and community members across Chapel Hill.

Myrick: From TEDxUNC, you can expect an awesome conference in February 2013. We’ll do a lot of different events for publicity and ticket distribution throughout the fall to precede the event.

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.