Former North Carolina soccer player dies

Kirk Urso, captain of the 2011 national championship team died Sunday morning

12815_urso2f.jpg

Urso takes a corner kick at Fetzer Field in his senior year at UNC.

Kirk Urso, who graduated from North Carolina in December 2011, died in a Columbus, Ohio hospital early Sunday morning. No cause of death has been released.

Urso, 22, was a four-year starter on the North Carolina men’s soccer team and the captain of the 2011 squad that won the national title in December.

As a freshman he led the team in assists and earned All-American honors from Soccer America. He led the team in assists again his sophomore year and started in each game. By the end of his career he had netted 15 goals and dished out 24 assists in 90 games.

His 90 appearances in Carolina blue are the most by any male Tar Heel soccer player in program history.

He was the centerpiece of the 2011 team as the center midfielder and the primary kick taker. He scored five goals in his senior campaign including two game-winners that came on set pieces.

In what was his fourth College Cup Urso faced former youth club teammate Andy Rose in the National Semifinal against UCLA. Rose, the Bruins captain, and Urso were the first two kick takers in the decisive penalty shoot out.

Urso was selected by the Columbus Crew with the tenth pick in the MLS’s supplemental draft and appeared in six games this season before being sidelined by a groin injury.

He was the son of Michael and Sandra Urso of Lombard, Ill., and he had one brother.