When Holden Thorp informed UNC-system President Thomas Ross of his decision to resign as chancellor, he did so on the condition that he would remain until June 30 — or longer, should he be needed to avoid a gap in leadership.

It is this gap precisely that must be avoided at all costs.

The most recent year of Thorp’s tenure has been defined by controversies that have unquestionably tarnished the University’s image.

While Thorp has done a great deal to contain and fix these scandals, his association with them is inescapable.

For the sake of the University, the next chancellor cannot enter the office under the unkind shadow of scandal. Thorp must use the remainder of his time at UNC to ensure that each loose end of the problems that have vexed the University for too long is tied up.

Otherwise, the next chancellor will enter the office behind the eight ball.

Thorp will be missed for his dedication to keeping the University accessible. He led the charge for an ethos of innovation and entrepreneurship. He also fostered relations with the town of Chapel Hill.

To some, his resignation will be viewed with regret. To others, it was overdue.

Regardless of whether he should have stepped down, Thorp is on his way out. The University must use this transition as an opportunity to start over with a clean slate.

There will, however, be no clean slate unless Thorp can put to rest some of the scandals plaguing the University.

The ongoing and planned investigations into UNC’s academics need to be carried out as thoroughly and transparently as possible.

But there is no guarantee that the next chancellor won’t have his or her own storm to weather.

With that in mind, the search committee must find a replacement who has the fortitude and leadership to withstand whatever comes his or her way and leave the University stronger for it.

Thorp’s resignation comes at a time of already heightened volatility for UNC. Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Bruce Carney plans to step down in June. In the wake of the most recent scandal, the University also finds itself without a head fundraiser.

The new chancellor will invariably be the subject of much public scrutiny. The ability to maintain composure and leadership in spite of it will be crucial.

The chancellor is the face of the University. The position has the capacity to represent students’ needs and to advocate for them to the politically charged Board of Governors and N.C. General Assembly.

It is all the more important, then, that the chancellor be receptive to students’ voices.

In order to keep the University accessible, the next chancellor must continue to improve efficiency, as long as it’s not at the cost of equity and students’ needs.

The chancellor must be able to articulate a vision for the University and explain why that vision matters to students. This will be especially important as the University works to reclaim its image in the light of recent public criticism.

But just having a vision isn’t enough.

Whoever takes over the position needs to be able to implement a vision in line with UNC’s principles. This includes the ability to inspire students, faculty and staff to abide by these principles.

The next chancellor must also be willing to stand by his or her decisions, no matter how controversial.

Thorp may have been criticized for his handling of specific situations. It is easy to point out things that didn’t go perfectly well.

It is much harder to imagine how someone else might have handled an identical situation. Conducting an armchair chancellorship might be fun, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Thorp’s guiding principles were always well placed, and the authenticity of his intentions was beyond question.

The chancellor shapes the University’s direction and identity.

It is vital that Thorp’s successor place similar value on affordability, research and academic prestige.

But in the meantime, Thorp’s administration should focus on bridging the gap for his successor’s sake.