Democratic National Convention kicks off despite heavy rain

CHARLOTTE — Heavy rain didn’t dampen the Democratic National Convention’s kick off.

Charlotte was transformed Monday as thousands of DNC volunteers, delegates and Charlotte residents poured in to see musical performers, state politicians and political activists celebrate President Barack Obama and voice their support for his re-election.

“I’m here to enjoy the convention and celebrate another four years of President Obama,” said Javier Valdez, a delegate from Seattle. “We’re in one of the worst economic crises in history. We’re here to throw our full support behind President Obama and Vice President Biden.”

The convention starts Tuesday and lasts until Thursday. It will feature Michelle Obama, Jimmy Carter via webcam, Bill Clinton and a host of other speakers. Obama and Biden will accept their nominations Thursday.

The majority of festival attendees sported an Obama campaign button or pin — or multiple. And attendees were outspoken in their support of the president and his policies.

One of the few protesters, Don Grundmann, chairman of the Constitution Party in California, stood holding a sign decrying Democrats for attacking morality, family and children.

“The convention is like a crystallization of evil,” he said, adding that he was outraged at the Democratic party’s support of same-sex marriage in its platform. “Essentially, they’re spitting in the face of North Carolina and our entire country.”

A woman walked by and grabbed one of his fliers, crumbling it up. “Not my Democratic party,” she said.

Many groups used the festival as a platform to increase awareness of their organizations.

Ashley Harrison, 23 and a student at UNC-Charlotte, was at the festival with Freedom School Partners, a non-profit group that works to improve literacy in Title I schools.

She said she thought the festival would help advocate for students and draw awareness to their cause. And the members of the group all individually support Obama, Harrison said.

“I think (Obama’s re-election) will make a way for programs like us to survive,” said group member Amanda Bottoms, 21 and a student at Winston Salem State University. “He knows about our program, he knows what we stand for.”

Gov. Bev Perdue was at the festival to voice her support for Obama, as well as Lt. Gov. Walter Dalton, the Democratic candidate for governor. Perdue introduced actor Jeff Bridges, who performed a few songs, and Dalton introduced singer James Taylor.

Taylor sang a few songs until heavy rain forced him to stop — before he could sing “Carolina in My Mind.” Taylor will perform again at the convention Thursday.

But fans were enthusiastic despite the rain.

“I’m having a ball, I don’t care about the rain,” said attendee Judith Felson. “It’s a wonderful time.”