Expanding the smoking ban infringes on rights

There is no doubt that cigarettes are harmful to one’s health. However, broadening the smoking ban to sidewalks unnecessarily infringes on smokers’ rights.

A significant number of people in the United States suffer from addiction to nicotine, and many rely on cigarettes as a means to calm their nerves when stressed.

Just as citizens have a right to clean air, those same taxpayers have a right to partake in the legal action of smoking if that is how they choose to spend their time during work breaks or socializing.

The proposed ban is too broad in that it does not differentiate between high- and low- traffic areas.

Banning smokers from Franklin Street is much different than banning smokers from taking a walk down less populated streets.

If the overarching goal of the proposal is to promote healthy living, this ban is not the way to go about it. Such a ban will not deter smokers, and it will not cease tobacco use.

Banning smoking on sidewalks shouldn’t be a high priority of the government with some other sources of pollution causing much more harmful externalities.

It is not the role of the government to enact borderline paternalistic laws to ban momentary discomfort.

I am not a smoker, but I still do not want to force my choices on others.

UNC instituted a rule banning smoking within 100 feet of campus buildings. However, most UNC students could tell you that this has not been an effective deterrent. This new proposal would be more of the same. What is the point of having laws we cannot enforce?

Efforts should be made to reduce the number of people addicted to nicotine. But passing a law that would be difficult to enforce is not the way to go about this venture.