Kolojejchick reaches milestone

13844_0924_fieldhockey1_wangf.jpg

Senior midfielder Kelsey Kolojejchick dribbles around a Stanford defender in North Carolina’s 6-2 win against the Cardinal Sunday.

The No. 11 Stanford field hockey team might have struck first in its contest against No. 1 North Carolina, but senior midfielder Kelsey Kolojejchick quickly squelched any impending momentum by scoring less than a minute later.

The goal tied the game 1-1 after eight minutes of play and started a 5-0 scoring run in the first half that ultimately propelled the Tar Heels to a 6-2 victory.

“We always say two minutes after any team’s goal to really go hard because that’s an opportunity where some teams will just lay back,” Kolojejchick said. “We didn’t want that to happen to us, so getting that quick goal was really good for us. It kept us going and put them on their heels.”

Kolojejchick added another goal eight minutes later to stretch UNC’s lead 3-1.

She wouldn’t score again Sunday afternoon, but late in the second half, she received a ball from Katie Ardrey on a penalty corner and passed it to Charlotte Craddock for the last goal of the game.
The assist, her 38th, bumped her up to a tie for eighth place in career assists at UNC.

With the two goals against Stanford, Kolojejchick also moved into fifth place for career goals scored at UNC with 60.

“She’s a special player,” coach Karen Shelton said. “She’s hard to stop. I’m going to steal a line from Anson (Dorrance) … Kelsey Kolojejchick has the gift of fury, and she is just relentless when she wants to play.”

In Friday’s 7-3 win against No. 19 Duke, Kolojejchick was quieter on the scoreboard, with only one goal coming from a penalty stroke, but she still played a pivotal role in the win.

“She’s a really explosive player everywhere on the field,”
sophomore forward Loren Shealy said. “Even if she’s not in the circle, she’s making plays in the midfield. If she’s in the circle, she’s going to shoot.

“Against Duke, she was just a little bit farther out from the circle and feeding it in more.”

With the season only halfway through, Kolojejchick has a shot to move up even higher in the record books. The next rung on the UNC scoring ladder is only eight goals away.

“If I can (surpass the record) that would be great,” Kolojejchick said. “But I just want to focus on winning, and if I’m the one who scores, that’s great. But if not, I just want to win a national championship.”

Contact the desk editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.