NCAA: UNC scandal doesn’t prompt probe

Barring any revelations of further academic impropriety involving the University’s student athletes, it appears the NCAA will not undertake a second major investigation into UNC athletics.

In a statement released Friday, the University said it updated the NCAA on academic irregularities in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies on Aug. 23.

“The NCAA staff reaffirmed to University officials that no NCAA rules appeared to have been broken,” the statement reads.

The most recent update to the NCAA came almost exactly a year after UNC first informed the governing body about irregularities in the department.

Since then, University officials undertook an investigation that found evidence of classes in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies that were taught irregularly or not at all. Some of the classes enrolled a disproportionately large percentage of student athletes.

According to the statement, University Counsel Leslie Strohm and Senior Associate Dean Jonathan Hartlyn provided the most recent update to the NCAA.

Strohm and Hartlyn could not be reached for comment Monday afternoon.

Last month, Chancellor Holden Thorp announced a new independent investigation that will attempt to trace the academic impropriety to its beginning.

Led by former Gov. Jim Martin and assisted by the consulting firm Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLC, the new review is under way, and could finish its work in a matter of weeks.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.