Police investigate string of Toyota car thefts

A Chapel Hill police investigation launched this spring about a string of stolen Toyota vehicles has stalled, police officials said Tuesday.

Sgt. Josh Mecimore, spokesman for the Chapel Hill Police Department, said 16 thefts have occurred since January — three of them this month.

Police began the investigation after eight thefts occurred in March and April.

Mecimore said he doesn’t know if this month’s thefts are connected to the those from last spring.

The stolen models have all been about 10 to 15 years old.

Mecimore said people often steal cars and sell the parts for profit.

“In this age range, the value of the individual parts is greater than the vehicle itself,” he said.

Mecimore added that Raleigh and Durham have also seen a marked increase in car thefts, and Toyotas are popular cars to steal.

In 2011, there were more than 1,000 thefts reported in the Durham-Chapel Hill metropolitan area.

Frank Scafidi, spokesman for the National Insurance Crime Bureau, said Toyota is one of the most commonly stolen car brands.

“Toyotas and Hondas top our list every year,” he said.

The Toyota Camry has been on the bureau’s list of most commonly stolen cars since 2007. The Toyota Corolla was one of the most stolen cars in North Carolina in 2011.

Six of the stolen Toyotas in Chapel Hill were Corollas.

Scafidi said people are often motivated to steal Toyotas because they are reliable and well made. He said the motive to sell parts is very common, especially in cases where the cars are not recovered.

“You know you just scratch your head and say, ‘Who would want a 1998 Toyota?’” he said. “That’s part of what’s driving the auto theft.”

Scafidi said he doesn’t think the thefts in Chapel Hill pose a serious risk to the community, though people should practice caution to avoid being targeted.

“We see a lot of thefts where students leave valuables on the seat and have them stolen through the door or the window,” he said.

Mecimore said students should be careful where they park — especially if they are in a remote area at night.

Police are asking drivers to park their vehicles in well-lit areas or locked garages, and to not leave items in plain sight that may attract thieves.

People with information about the car thefts can call the Chapel Hill Police or Chapel Hill-Carrboro-UNC Crimestoppers at (919) 942-7515.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.