Proposed Greek fee still an option

A newly proposed student fee for Greek students is still on the table, even though a committee of students voted against it Thursday.

The fee, if approved, would charge $12.50 each semester to members of UNC’s 55 Greek organizations and would bring in approximately $62,500 to $78,000 per year.

Members of the student fee advisory subcommittee, which is composed of both students and administrators, said at a meeting Friday that they needed more information about students’ opinions before approving the fee.

Aaron Bachenheimer, director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and Community Involvement, told the subcommittee the additional revenue would fund resources that would benefit full-time, active Greek members, such as office space in Granville Towers.

The meeting followed the student fee audit committee’s meeting Thursday, during which the proposed fee was unanimously voted down by student members.

Michael Bertucci, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Federation, attended both meetings and said he wanted to see if Greek students were in support of the fee.

“Our biggest issue at the SFAC meeting was that we had no idea how much communication was had with the fraternity and sorority houses,” he said.

But Bachenheimer said current leaders in the Greek community had mostly positive reactions to the fee.

“We have talked to them, and as with any fee, there’s never universal support for ‘Please charge me more,’” Bachenheimer said.

“But there is a real broad-based consensus at the leadership level, who I think can fairly see the vision and where we’re trying to go with this.”

Student Body President Will Leimenstoll, a member of Pi Kappa Phi, said he sees the benefits of the fee, but he doesn’t know if it is necessary.

“I think there are certain things in here that would be great to have, but I don’t know if they’re worth $25 per year, per Greek student,” Leimenstoll said, adding that the poor economy should also be considered.

“I don’t know if there’s an actual need or expense, or just a question of, ‘Why not?,’” he said.

“But I think the better question we should be using in the current economic climate is, ‘Why?’”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.