John Stossel tapes episode of Fox Business Network at UNC

Students who attended Thursday night’s debate featuring John Stossel ­but didn’t quite get their political fill can attend an on-campus taping of his show today.

Stossel, a host on Fox Business Network, will tape his show today beginning at 2 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Student Union. The filming is free and open to the public.

Stossel’s show will bring a series of speakers in to discuss topics relevant to college students, including free speech, gay rights and campus politics.

David Deerson, president of the UNC Young Americans for Liberty said he wants Stossel to talk about recent changes in college students’ political ideologies.

“I hope the show will address the growth of libertarianism and the philosophy of liberty among students over the past four years or so and how this growth may change the political climate of the future,” he said

Speakers include UNC alumna Hadley Heath from the Independent Women’s Forum and Robert Shibley, senior vice president of FIRE, the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, a national organization dedicated to preserving rights such as free expression on campuses.

“FIRE’s mission is crucial, as freedom of expression is not only constitutionally guaranteed, but educationally vital,” said Deerson, who interned with FIRE two summers ago.

The UNC Young Americans for Liberty brought Shibley to campus last Monday to discuss restrictive speech codes.

Buck Goldstein, the University’s entrepreneur in residence and an economics professor, will also speak and discuss his book, “Engines of Innovation,” which he co-wrote with Chancellor Holden Thorp, at the event.

Goldstein will address the responsibility universities have to use the large financial resources available to them.

At the taping, several guests on opposite sides of the same-sex marriage debate will discuss the merits of N.C. Amendment One, which was passed in May and bans same-sex marriage.

Garrett Jacobs, chairman of the UNC College Republicans, said he thinks the taping will be a great follow-up for the debate between Stossel and 2004 presidential candidate Howard Dean held Thursday.

“I hope Stossel talks about issues that relate to college students, since he will be broadcasting on a college campus,” Jacobs said.

Jacobs said he also hopes Stossel will revisit some of the issues raised at Thursday’s debate.

There will be a question and answer session at today’s taping.

Nate Lerner, events planning manager for the Student Union, said they are currently looking to seat about 300, but the number could change based on the needs of Fox’s production team.

Seats might be struck for a camera platform and any other production needs, Lerner said.

Anyone can RSVP through email to StosselTix@foxbusiness.com.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.