Chapel Hill hosts economic justice forum

13745_0920_econforum_cogburn1f.jpg
Panelist Robert Dowling, the Executive Director of Community Home Trust an, addressed economic policies related to the gentrification of Northside, institutional racism, and the November election.

Chapel Hill resident Tye Hunter wanted to be informed for the upcoming November elections.

Hunter, who attended a forum on economic justice in town elections on Thursday night, said he left feeling like he gained the knowledge he needed.

“I think that Orange County has very significant problems with figuring out how to make it a welcoming place to African Americans,” he said.

“I think the population has been decreasing in Chapel Hill, and I would hope we would think about what we could do to change that.”

Thursday’s forum was the second of four events hosted by the Community Empowerment Fund, a local organization, as part of its “Politics, Race and the November Election” series of discussions.

“We can begin to wrap our heads around the issues as we talk about them,” said Chapel Hill resident TK Khan, who said he has been attending the forum series to understand the role race plays in the elections.

Allison De Marco, an investigator for the UNC Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute, organized the forums after attending similar sessions in Chapel Hill hosted by a group from Greensboro.

The forum is the second event to come out of an alliance of caucuses formed to promote discussions about issues related to race in politics and the community.

Robert Dowling, a panelist at the event, talked about issues of gentrification in the Northside area of Chapel Hill.

Dowling is the executive director of Community Home Trust, an organization that works to provide affordable housing in areas like Northside, a historically black and low-income neighborhood in Chapel Hill.

Dowling said he hopes town leaders will address the issues in Northside in the upcoming election.

Hunter, a returning participant, said he always learns something new at the forums.

Other topics in the forum included women in the workplace and minority home ownership.

The next forum will be about health care and will take place Oct. 4 at the United Church of Chapel Hill.

“Race is one of the big problems for the United States the we need to continue to solve,” Hunter said.

“The more we can continue to learn about it the better off we will be.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.