UNC’s director of fundraising resigns

Vice Chancellor for University Advancement Matt Kupec has resigned after questions surfaced regarding his use of University travel funds.

Kupec’s travel records will be investigated through an internal audit, said Chancellor Holden Thorp in an interview Monday night.

Kupec is an alumnus and former UNC starting quarterback. He became vice chancellor for University advancement in 1995.

Thorp said many of the funds in question appear to have been used for personal reasons throughout the past few years. He added that questions were raised during Kupec’s five-year performance review in the spring as University officials were looking over documents of trips Kupec had taken with Tami Hansbrough, mother of former UNC basketball star Tyler Hansbrough and a UNC fundraiser.

“I’ve been asking for information about it, and in the last few days, I found some information that I felt like I really needed to talk to (Kupec) about,” Thorp said. “And when I talked to him about it, he offered to resign.”

As for oversight, Thorp said Kupec himself was responsible for making sure his travel complied with University travel policies. He added that this policy might need to be changed, possibly through adding other administrative oversight.

Scott Ragland, director of development communications who worked closely alongside Kupec, said he had no knowledge and no previous suspicions of improper fund use.

“This is a painful day for Carolina,” Thorp said. “Matt Kupec did so much to create the modern version of Carolina.”

Kupec released a statement Monday night, but did not address his travel expenses.

“I will miss you all, but in my heart, I will always be a part of the Carolina family,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.