Both Roy Williams' tumors not cancerous

A biospy revealed the tumor on Williams left kidney was also benign

The University of North Carolina athletic department released Thursday night that the tumor on head men’s basketball coach Roy Williams’ left kidney is non-cancerous like the one removed from his other kidney Sept. 19.

Dr. Eric Wallen, the professor of urology at UNC who lead the surgical team in September, said no further surgery will be required for Williams.

“The result of the biopsy of the tumor on the left side is great news for Coach Williams and his family,” Wallen said in a release. “He is recovering very well, and we will continue to follow his progress. In the meantime, he can return to his normal schedule, including the team’s first practice on Oct. 13th.”

Late Night with Roy is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 12 and the team’s schedule opens with an exhibition with Shaw University Oct. 26.

“Once again I want to say how overwhelmed my family and I are by the support and concern of so many former players, members of the Tar Heel family and friends and fellow coaches from around the country,” Williams said in the release. “Saying I’m overwhelmed truly doesn’t give justice to how much I appreciate all their thoughts and good wishes. The support has been off the charts.”