First lady Michelle Obama to speak Tuesday at Carmichael Arena

Students, faculty, staff and town residents who have yet to get their tickets for First Lady Michelle Obama’s speech on campus Tuesday will have another chance today.

Ticket distribution for Michelle Obama’s speech at Carmichael Arena will continue today from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. in the Pit.

Doors for the speech open at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, but the exact time of the speech will not be revealed for security purposes, said Lauren Hovis, vice president of UNC Young Democrats.

Organizing for America, the grassroots arm of the re-election effort of President Barack Obama, and the UNC Young Democrats are co-sponsoring the event, Hovis said.

Avery Keese, a political science major who received a ticket, said the lines were much shorter to get tickets for Michelle Obama’s speech during the weekend than for the president’s speech in April.

“It speaks to how important the young educated vote is to the Obama campaign that Obama and the first lady have come to UNC within six months,” she said.

Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney has been campaigning in North Carolina, but has not made a trip to UNC’s campus.

“I don’t think Michelle Obama’s visit, or even another visit from the president, will prevent the state from voting for Romney or (Republican gubernatorial candidate Pat) McCrory this election,” said Garrett Jacobs, chairman of UNC’s College Republicans.

But Obama supporters said Michelle Obama’s speech will galvanize a crucial voting bloc for the president.

“We hope that the first lady’s speech will really pump students up to go to the polls Thursday for early voting,” Hovis said.

Early voting begins on Thursday and will run until Nov. 3.

Students can also register and vote at the same time at Rams Head Dining Hall as part of the one-stop voting process.

Contact the desk editor at

state@dailytarheel.com.