Pink powder party on quad

14225_1010_pinkout1_sosaf.jpg
The Old Well stands illuminated with pink lights for the first time in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month during the Pink out Polk Place event put on by the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center. The event included a fun run where the first 100 runners were covered in pink and blue powder.

Students were pelted with pink and Carolina blue powder on Wednesday night, enthusiastically donning the colors as part of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

As part of Turn the Town Pink, Pink Out Polk Place was a walk/run to raise awareness not only for UNC’s Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center research, but also the patients it treats.

The participants ran from the Old Well to the Bell Tower, all while having powder thrown on them by people on the sidelines.

As part of the event, the Bell Tower and the Old Well were lit up in pink.

“So many people have been touched by cancer, and it is a great way for them to get involved in what the month of October stands for,” said Jennifer Bowman, the main organizer of the event and special events coordinator for the Lineberger Center.

This is the first time the University has held this event, and Bowman said she hopes to put it on again next year.

Ellen de Graffenreid, director of communications and marketing for the Lineberger Center, said Turn the Town Pink is different from most cancer awareness events taking place this month.

Turn the Town Pink uses the month of October to raise awareness and funds for all types of cancer patient support programs, de Graffenreid said.

A cappella groups the Loreleis and the Clef Hangers also gave performances before the run.

Sophomore Annie Poole, a member of the Loreleis, said she enjoyed representing the student body in a community event.

“It is such a great cause, and I love that we were given the opportunity to participate and show our support,” she said.

Freshman Kaity Emerson, a participant in the event, said she wanted to do the run because it was for a good cause.

“It is a great way to participate and show support for an important cause,” she said.

“I would definitely come out next year and do it again.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.