UNC a capella groups will perform at NC State Fair

What do the UNC Clef Hangers, the Loreleis and fried Girl Scout Cookies have in common?

All three are a part of the 2012 N.C. State Fair. ­

The two a cappella groups will perform today in the inaugural Varsity Vocal Showcase at the fair, which also opens today.

Ticket sales will benefit the groups.

UNC

“It’s a pretty high profile performance,” she said.

“It’s not every day we get to perform for people outside our community.”

McIlwain said the performance is a little nerve-racking since the fair is also bringing in big-name performers like Hot Chelle Rae and Scotty McCreery.

In addition to the Loreleis and Clef Hangers, the Varsity Vocal Showcase will feature a cappella groups from N.C. State and Duke Universities.

Ashcon Livingston, social media manager and member of the Clef Hangers, said this showcase will be an exciting opportunity for them to perform with a cappella groups from other universities — something they do not get to do often.

“It’s a cool opportunity to see different styles of a cappella,” Livingston said.

Each group will perform three to four songs of their choice at the event.

Andrea Ashby, spokeswoman for the state fair, said the idea behind the showcase came from the recent surge in interest surrounding a cappella music, made popular by shows like “Glee” and “The Sing-Off.”

Ashby said she hopes the addition will prompt more high school and college-aged students to attend the fair.

“It’s a great platform to showcase local talent,” Ashby said.

The Clef Hangers and Loreleis were chosen for the event because of their talent and prominence within the University community, she said.

“We tried to reach out to schools with the most strongly established a cappella groups.”

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.