The Carrboro Police Department is investigating the death of UNC student David Palmer Shannon, according to a release sent out Sunday morning.

Shannon, a freshman from Charlotte, was found dead Saturday night near Brewer Lane, according to the release. Police do not suspect foul play at this time.

Lt. Chris Atack, spokesman for the Carrboro Police Department, said Shannon was found by a group of UNC students who knew him. His body was found near a bike trail that runs next to railroad tracks.

Whether the students were looking for him or were in the area when they found him is still unknown, Atack said.

Carrboro police received the 911 call at 10:34 p.m. Saturday night, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The incident appears to be isolated, and there is no threat to the campus community, the release states. A cause of death has not yet been released.

The department is requesting those with information about Shannon’s whereabouts Friday night to contact Sgt. Mike Metz at (919) 918-7409 or Lt. Anthony Westbrook at (919) 918-7417.

University Chancellor Holden Thorp issued a statement Sunday morning.

“As we grieve David’s loss as a campus community, our thoughts are with his parents, family and friends,” he said.

Counseling resources are available today in the first floor of Granville Towers South between noon and 3 p.m.