Elections have consequences. And as students at our state’s flagship university, we feel those consequences in the quality and affordability of our educational experience.

These consequences are the reason the North Carolina gubernatorial race is one of the most important on the ballot.

Like her or not, Gov. Bev Perdue has been one of UNC’s strongest allies in Raleigh, rallying against Republican-approved budget cuts to public education. Her successor should do the same.

Walter Dalton’s central campaign theme has been that great jobs grow from great schools. He has demonstrated his commitment to strengthening public education throughout his 15 years of public service.

A native North Carolinian and UNC-CH graduate, Dalton understands the historical significance of UNC and the economic importance of maintaining a quality, affordable, and accessible public university system.

Pat McCrory has run a pro-business campaign, praising tax cuts as the solution to all of North Carolina’s woes. His lack of attention to education policy is disconcerting, particularly in light of last year’s 15.6 percent tuition increase.

Can we expect McCrory to stand up to the Republican General Assembly when more budget cuts come and tuition rises even more rapidly? Not a chance.

But that’s exactly what we can expect from Walter Dalton. As governor, he would be a powerful voice for public education and a necessary check on a Republican General Assembly.

Walter Dalton deserves our votes to be North Carolina’s next governor.

Travis Crayton ’13
Public policy
Political science