Collins Crossing Apartments owners refute residents’ complaints

The owners of Collins Crossing Apartment Homes in Carrboro are disputing residents’ complaints about unfair management practices and rising rent costs.

The Chapel Hill/Carrboro Human Rights Center has received multiple complaints of tenants’ rents rising up to $750.

On Nov. 3 about 50 people participated in a march organized by the center and the Occupy Chapel Hill movement.

Collins Crossing, formerly Abbey Court Condominiums, is home to many low-income Burmese and Latino immigrants. The complex was purchased this summer by Aspen Square Management.

Victor Acosta, community director for the Human Rights Center, said residents complained about receiving letters telling them their contracts had ended, and their rents were going up.

“The trend that we have been hearing is from $100-$200 depending on the apartment size and the people within the apartment, which most families cannot afford,” he said in an e-mail.

But Brenda Wishart, director of recruiting for Aspen Square Management, said these claims are untrue.

Wishart said the rumors began after someone circulated a flyer containing false information about rising rent.

Wishart said some residents have faced a one-time rent increase of $25 or less, but only when they signed up for a new lease term. She said some vacant Collins Crossing apartments are being renovated.

These apartments will have different amenities and features and will have rent prices starting at $725 for new residents.

“We want the residents to stay,” she said.

“We’ve taken excellent care of them since we’ve been here.”

Wishart said Collins Crossing management has had good communication with residents because Aspen Square has hired a bilingual staff member.

“We’ve gone to extra measure to make sure we can communicate with all of our residents,” she said.

“If people have questions or concerns, we’re happy to answer.”

But Acosta said that residents who have complained said they do not feel taken care of.

“Sadly, because of the immigration and financial status of many of these individuals, they can’t hire a lawyer nor have the disposable income to hire one,” he said.

Another march will be held Friday.

It will be sponsored by La Casa, a Spanish language living learning community at UNC, and students from a UNC sociology class.

Freshman Jared Scruggs, a member of La Casa, said he participated in the Nov. 3 march and will participate in the one on Friday.

“A lot of the people who are affected can’t speak out,” Scruggs said.

“They don’t have an advocate.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.