Colleen Daly for eating disorder awareness program

After overcoming an eating disorder with the help of a strong community, Colleen Daly wants to bring that support to other UNC students.

Daly’s service project, Embody Carolina, is a program that would provide the UNC community with resources to help identify the signs of eating disorders and serve as compassionate allies to those struggling with a disorder.

The program involves a three-hour training course certification. Participants would also receive a manual with more information.

Daly said she hopes to create a network of UNC community members who would be able to recognize and support those with eating disorders.

“I know how much eating disorders take away from the quality of life of students,” she said.

“I see people that don’t have the support system that I had,” Daly said.

“The support system is vital.”

Daly said she would use the $500 for the manuals and training supplies. But if she doesn’t win, the project will still continue.

Winning would help kick off the project and raise awareness, but Daly said she is already looking at other grant opportunities.

Daly has been developing this training project for about a year with the UNC Eating Disorders Program. The project will begin early next semester.

Daly works as a fitness instructor at Campus Recreation and has seen the effects of eating disorders on students firsthand.

“I believe so strongly that Embody Carolina is going to make such a huge impact on the lives of students.”

Jagir Patel, who knows Daly through the Campus Y and Carolina Kickoff, said she is confident her project will do a lot of good for the UNC community.

“Colleen is not good for Miss UNC, she is perfect for Miss UNC,” Patel said. “Her initiative, Embody Carolina, aims to support all Carolina community members in feeling beautiful about themselves and others.”

Hetali Lodaya, who knows Colleen through their work with Nourish International, said Daly’s energy and spirit make her an excellent representative of UNC.

“Colleen represents so many things that are the Carolina community and the Carolina Way — diversity, commitment to being our best selves, being a leader and pursuing our dreams.”

Daly encouraged students to not simply vote for her but for her project.

“I hope people recognize that we are an extremely vibrant, diverse, amazing community but currently we don’t serve a huge part of the population that is struggling.”

Contact the desk editor at
university@dailytarheel.com.