Common to speak at semester’s end

This semester’s last day of classes will be anything but common.

The day will be punctuated by a visit from Common, a socially conscious hip-hop artist and actor from Chicago, who will speak to students about empowerment and activism.

Known as a poetic and intellectual rapper, he will give a Dec. 5 lecture entitled “Greatness!,” the Carolina Union Activities Board announced Wednesday.

Zoey LeTendre, CUAB’s program adviser, said Common has given similar lectures at schools across the country.

“It’s something that he’s doing increasingly more and more,” she said. “Wanting to talk to students and people who can get out and make change.”

LeTendre said Common encourages people not to be complacent regarding politics and social issues.

“He wants young people to stand up for what they believe and what they want,” she said.

Grace Peter, CUAB’s forum committee chairwoman, said the committee has discussed bringing Common to UNC for a while. She said his agent called her recently about December availability.

“Common’s many talents appeal to all types of students, from performers to activists, Peter said in an email. “UNC students are known for being dedicated and vocal about their interests.”

Senior Jake Bevis said he looks forward to hearing Common speak.

“Initially, I was disappointed that he wasn’t performing because I’ve been a follower of Common for a long time,” Bevis said. “But once I saw what he was speaking about, I was excited to go.”

Bevis said he likes Common because his rap lyrics aren’t filled with profanity.

“He’s socially conscious and he sends more of a message than other artists might,” Bevis said.

LeTendre said CUAB tries to offer diverse, memorable programming at the end of the semester, but she said the board doesn’t like to label it as an official LDOC celebration.

“We don’t necessarily aim to have LDOC in the Duke sense of the word,” she said.

CUAB announced Common’s upcoming engagement just days after rapper J. Cole performed at Homecoming. LeTendre said the choice to bring Common was not directly motivated by a demand for rappers, but it correlates to past student feedback requesting a variety of artists beyond the indie genre.

CUAB president Tom Low said in an email that Common was chosen in part because of his hip-hop background, but CUAB is not bringing him as a musical performer.

“We are bringing him for his thoughts and viewpoints on music and success in today’s world,” Low said. “We believe that, because of his enormous fame, his story and thoughts will inspire the student body.”

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.