Computer, phone may bring answers in Shannon investigation

The family of David Shannon is hoping details from his cellphone and computer will help explain why the UNC freshman fell to his death in Carrboro early on Oct. 27.

His brother, Stephen Shannon, said the Carrboro Police Department obtained a court order Wednesday to search the cellphone and laptop. He said it could take about a week to search the items.

Lt. Chris Atack, of Carrboro police, declined to comment on the developments, saying the investigation is ongoing.

David Shannon, a Charlotte native, was found dead the night of Oct. 27 at the Ready Mixed Concrete Plant on Guthrie Avenue.

Police say he fell 40 feet early in the morning after climbing machinery at the plant. Police say that alcohol may have been a factor.

Stephen Shannon said there are still many unanswered questions about the hours leading up to his brother’s death.

“We do not know why David ended up at Guthrie Avenue,” Shannon said. “The biggest hole in the night is how he ended up there.”

But he said he is hopeful his brother’s cellphone will reveal more information.

“That was one of the last pieces of the puzzle,” Stephen Shannon said.

He said David Shannon planned on going to the Alpha Delta Pi Sorority Mallard Ball on the night of Oct. 26.

Before the ball, he went to a pre-game party on McCauley Street, which is where Stephen Shannon said he was last seen. David Shannon never made it to the event at La Residence Restaurant.

“The other missing piece is what happened from the time he left the party at McCauley to the time he got to the concrete plant,” Stephen Shannon said.

David Shannon’s roommate, freshman Kevin Kirby, said he last saw him at about 9 p.m. on Oct. 26 when Shannon left for the pre-game party.

Kirby heard from him later at about 12:15 a.m. on Oct. 27 in a group text message he sent to their Chi Phi fraternity pledge class.

He was supposed to go to a tailgate before the UNC-N.C. State football game at the Chi Phi house, but he never showed up and didn’t respond to text messages or phone calls, Stephen Shannon said.

“I texted him Saturday after the UNC game about Giovani Bernard’s punt return at the end of the game and didn’t get a response, but I thought he was just enjoying the victory with his friends and forgot to text me back,” he said.

At 10:34 p.m., David Shannon’s body was found by a group of friends who tracked the location of his cellphone.

Carrboro Police initially said Shannon was found about 90 yards from where he hit the ground. But recent findings have revealed that he died where he fell, Atack said.

Stephen Shannon said his brother’s death is not connected to his involvement in the Chi Phi fraternity.

Atack said police have not ruled out any possible causes.

“Everything is still on the table,” he said. “We don’t have anything definitive at this point.”

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition