Don Luse retires today after leading the Union for 20 years

Mildred Council, aka Mama Dip, has received the Harvard Club's Roland Giduz award for community service. Council worked as a cook and housekeeper in the Giduz household.Don Luse is retiring after over 21 years as the director of the Student Union.

On the third floor of the Student Union, above the weekday rush of students, are the offices of the Union administrators.

One office in particular is known for its open door — but even more so for the man who dwells within.

Don Luse, director of the Student Union, will retire today after 20 years in his position.

“Any person that walks through our doors is somehow touched by that man’s vision and contribution to life on campus,” said Scott Hudson, senior associate director of operations for the Union.

Luse said UNC would not be the same without the Union, as it provides an opportunity for students to socialize and learn.

“Just watch the activity,” he said. “Whether it’s down in the lounge or in the meeting rooms — you see the importance of what we do.”

Lauren Sacks, assistant director of student learning, said Luse has built an empowering community.

“Just the sense of humility he has — it’s very apparent he’s a fantastic leader, and he doesn’t have to talk about that for us to know it,” she said.

“I think that’s one of the greatest examples of leadership that you can have.”

Luse’s commitment to his job, which Hudson describes as infectious among the staff, led to his recognition at the highest level.

In March, Luse received the Butts-Whiting Award for outstanding leadership from the Association of College Unions International. Luse has been president of the ACUI since 2009.

Hudson said Luse will be greatly missed, and the Union staff is thankful for the strong foundation he has laid.

Hudson and Tony Patterson, senior associate director of the Union, will be interim union directors until July 1, when the new director will assume the position.

A committee of students and Union staff organized by Associate Vice Chancellor Bettina Shuford will begin the national search for Luse’s replacement in January.

Luse hopes his successor will continue to meet students’ needs, which he says are constantly evolving.

“I hope they make it better,” he said. “This is an organization that happened before me, and it will happen after me —I was a point in time.”

Luse said one of his favorite parts of the job is building lasting relationships with students.

Senior Tom Low, director of the Carolina Union Activities Board, said in an email that Luse has been a great asset to both the Union and the University.

“He is a man of integrity, hard work and focus, and he is a model administrator for this University,” Low said.

“He will be missed more than he knows.”

Using the sense of humor that Hudson said has motivated staff and students alike, Luse pondered his first day of retirement.

“I’m of course going to exercise and eat properly, and I’ll definitely read a book,” he said.

“All of these things I probably won’t do — I’ll just enjoy life.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.